Skip to main content

Women's Propeller Club of the United States - Port of New York Records, 1970-1996

 Collection
Identifier: SC-0020
Records relating to the governance and activities of the Port of New York chapter of the Women's Propeller Club as well as its national parent organization. Additionally, there are a small quanitity of documents related to three other maritime organizations (the Seamen's Church Institute, South Street Seaport, and City Island Historical Society).

Dates

  • 1970 - 1996
  • Majority of material found within 1970 - 1986

Language of Materials

Materials are in English

Conditions Governing Access

Appointments to examine materials must be made in advance. Please e-mail library@sunymaritime.edu for more information or to schedule an appointment.

Conditions Governing Use

Reproductions may be provided to users to support research and scholarship. However, collection use is subject to all copyright laws. The responsibility to secure copyright permission rests with the patron.

Extent

1.25 Linear Feet (3 standard archival document boxes)

Historical Note

The Women's Propeller Club of the United States can trace its roots back to 1935. After the annual Convention of the Propeller Club of the United States (which traced its origins informally back to the mid 1920s), the Ladies Committee of the Club decided to form its own organization. This group was first known as the Women's Organization for the Advancement of the American Merchant Marine. On December 12, 1935, Kate Eisig Tode of New York was unanimously elected President. A local chapter or Port was immediately formed in New York, and soon other Ports were established around the country (for example, in New Orleans and Savannah). In 1945 the Women's National American Merchant Marine Organization was founded during the American Merchant Marine Conference and Annual Convention of the Propeller Club held in New York City. Eventually, in 1961 the Women's Organization agreed to affliate with the Propeller Club of the United States and thereafter be known as The Women's Propeller Club of the United States.

Among several objectives specified in the organization's 1970, the Club wished "To promote, further, and support the American Merchant Marine" and "To aid in any way possible, worthy and justifiable river, inland waterways and harbor improvements". Its regular membership consisted "of women, citizens of the United States of America, who are interested in the advancement of the American Merchant Marine and who have some member of the family directly or indirectly associated with the activities of the American Merchant Marine."

Physical Location

Stephen B. Luce Library, SUNY Maritime College 6 Pennyfield Avenue Bronx, NY 10465 Telephone: (718) 409-7231 library@sunymaritime.edu

Custodial History

According to the legacy finding aid, these were the records of Filomena Magavero, who served as the organization's secretary in the 1970s and 1980s. Ms. Magavero was also a librarian at the Stephen B. Luce Library, so presumably she donated them to the library, though no formal deed or paperwork has been located.

Related Materials at SUNY Maritime College

Arthur M. Tode Papers are held at the Stephen B. Luce Library. Tode was a national leader of the Propeller Club of the United States.
Title
Women's Propeller Club of the United States - Port of New York Records, 1970-1976
Status
completed
Description rules
dacs
Edition statement
The original finding aid for this collection was created in April, 1998 (no author named) and consisted of an introduction, scope note, and container/file list. In 2017 Archivist Annie Tummino updated the intellectual description to meet DACS standards and entered it into ArchivesSpace.

Repository Details

Part of the Stephen B. Luce Library Repository

Contact:
6 Pennyfield Avenue
Bronx NY 10465 United States
(718) 409-7231