Training Ships, 1874 - 2007
Series — Multiple Containers
Scope and Contents
Images of schoolships and training ships as well as educational activites and daily life on the ships (numbered with with prefix WR).
There seems to be a strange gap, with no photographs located for the Empire State V (1973 - 1990). The original handwritten ledger indicates that there should be six prints but these were not found. See the Janis Krastins Photographs and Robert Hogg Photographs for images of the Empire State V.
- 1874 - 2007
Conditions Governing Access
Appointments to examine materials must be made in advance. Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information or to schedule an appointment.
Biographical / Historical
Hands-on training on ships has always been a vital part of the Maritime experience. The following is a list of the school's training ships since the school's founding.
SUNY Maritime College School and Training Ships
- St. Mary’s (Class: Sloop-of-War)
- Newport (Class: Patrol Gunboat)
- Empire State (Class: Antares Class Miscellaneous Auxiliary, Flagship of Fleet Base Force, Shipping Board Vessel, Troop and Cargo Carrier)
- Empire State II (Class: Artemis Class Attack Cargo Ship)
- Empire State III (Class: Comfort Class Hospital Ship)
- Empire State IV (Class: Troop Transport; Military Sea Transport Service)
- Empire State V (Class: Barrett Class Passenger Transport)
- Empire State VI (Class: Passenger / Cargo Vessel)
1650 Photographic Slides
Language of Materials
From the Collection: English